Norton County, Kansas
Official site for Norton County, Kansas

Norton CIty/County

Economic Development

Keli Habiger

Official Website


205 S. State Street
Norton, KS 67654

Office phone : 
(785) 874-4816

Business Hours: 
Monday- Friday except holidays

Function of Department

The office can provide assistance to businesses and entrepreneurs in areas such as, but not limited to: relocation to or within Norton County, product or business model assistance, workforce recruitment, sale of a business, development of a business and financing resources.


Norton City/County Economic Development is a countywide partnership dedicated to enhancing the economic strength of the county by recruiting new employers, retaining existing employers and improving the quality of life for all of Norton County.

Norton City/County Economic Development  FAQ

Are there grants available for for-profit businesses?

No, __

What is a deed?

A document that transfers real estate from one party to another.

How do I change the name on my deed?

Once a document has been filed in this office, the document itself will not be changed-in order to transfer property, you will have to have a new deed prepared. To avoid future problems, we recommend that you have a title company or an attorney do this for you.

What if I lose my deed?

Nothing, providing it was filed in this office. For a nominal fee, you will always be able to receive a copy of your deed.

What are the requirements for filing a document?

First of all, a document needs to have original signatures or be certified and properly notarized. The acknowledgement needs to have a State, County, dates, the signatory, signature of notary, seal, and date of expiration. The proper filing fees need to be paid. A deed and affidavit of equitable interest must be accompanied by a Sales Validation Questionnaire, unless states on the face of the deed, it is exempt. Also, needs a Norton COunty legal description, eg. lot, block, addition, or section, township and range. The legal description should come from your deed (not tax statement), or the Appraiser's Office.

My spouse died, how do I change the name on my deed?

If you owned property in joint tenancy, you will need to file a certified copy of the death certificate in the Register of Deeds Office with proper filing fee. This will remove the name of the deceased party from the title of the real estate. A new deed will not be made, but the records will reflect one party is deceased.

How far back do the records go?

The Register of Deeds Office here in Norton County has records that date back to 1874, written in elaborate manuscript.

I cannot find in the Register of Deeds Office, where to next?

Not all records are in teh Register of Deeds Office. The Clerk of the Distict Court has court, probate, divorce records, and marriage licenses. Kansas Department of Vital Statistics has birth and death records. Some birth and death information can be found in the Clerk of the District Court before 1911.

Who is the Register of Deeds?

The Register of Deeds is an elected Official who makes certain that the documents are properly recording according to the laws of the State of Kansas and maintains those records.

May I make my own deed?

Yes, you could, but the Register of Deeds and staff always recommends the retention of an attorney or a title company. The Register of Deeds is a recording agency, and therefore, cannot make out dees or answer questions which pertain to legal matters.

Norton City/County Forms


  • Genology Research
  • Register of Deeds Fee Schedule
  • Sales Validation Questionnaire
  • DD214 or Military Record Request


External Links